I decided to test my broadband connection speeds today. I pay Time Warner for this service, and although the speeds look halfway decent, their internet connection is below average.
I'm not TCP/IP or HTTP or any other protocol expert, but when I can sit back and wait and wait for a web page to load, then there's something wrong. About half of the web pages I try to load, either time out or get loaded so poorly that only text shows up, no graphics of any kind, and the text is all aligned on the left side of the screen. I'm thinking that Time Warner's connection is bad or their DNS servers are constantly messed up somehow.
On to the results. I took the samples of three different online speed test networks. I used the ever popular Speedtest.net for a test; I used the Ookla site given to me by Time warner Cable on their website; I also used one based on HTML5, a new one called Speedof.me.
The new site, Speedof.me produced much different results than the other two. I performed 2 back to back tests using each site, and each of the results was almost identical.
The first picture is from Speedof.me. You can see the results are about half of the other two sites.
This next text result is from Speedtest.net. Much better results, as you can see.
And the final test is from Time Warner's website. About the same results.